Monday, May 5, 2014

A (sort of) ComicCon in Bahrain

ComiX Bahrain blogging

Over the weekend I attended ComiX, a comic convention hosted in Bahrain. While it was 1/16th the size of Dubai's recent Comic Con, I still felt like the noob of noobs. Here are some photos of me not fitting in with nerds.
ComiX Bahrain stormtrooper blogging

ComiX Bahrain stormtrooper blogging

ComiX Bahrain cardboard cutout Barack Obama blogging
Notice how I had my friend photograph me so that Michelle was out of the way. Tee hee!

ComiX Bahrain Iron Man mask blogging
Probably my favourite photo.

ComiX Bahrain women drawing blogging
Girls generally stuck to manga while the boys stuck to the comics. Not too surprising.

Like many other viewers, I am a fan of The Walking Dead who has not read the comics. I think that's OK, a lot of people watch movies without reading the books first, right? But I decided that it would be good for me to buy the comics and read them, just so that I had a better idea of what was going on in the show. So I thought, why not start from the beginning? When I asked a vendor for the first issues of the series, he audibly gawked then laughed in my face. He said that I couldn't do that, because those issues were incredibly expensive and he didn't even have them for sale. I guess it was a silly assumption of mine and I should have done some research first, but I didn't think of it until I got to the convention and we all have to start somewhere. I mean, to make me feel stupid for asking a question just deterred a potential customer from purchasing any comics at all. I read the other day that nerds are the new bullies. You can't criticize or tease them because then you'll be considered the bully. While I was doing neither, I certainly felt like I was being denied entry to a very exclusive club. I mean, nerds don't want to share their hobbies and interests with others? And hey! I was always called a nerd growing up! I'm sure not all nerds are the same, but if you ask me, I'm not going to ComiX next year. If they have free food though...

No comments:

Post a Comment